So I was sitting at the departure of an airport somewhere outside the country waiting to connect a flight back to Nigeria and I had a full 6 hours to wait. I was tired and drowsy and all I wanted was to return home. I was bored and ticked off by the weather and tired of their food too. I just wanted to go home.
While trying to contain my frustration, a young lady possibly in her late twenties walked in my direction dragging her beautiful suitcase on wheels with one hand and her laptop bag clutched in the other hand. She was European, but not English judging from the tone of her skin and fancy dress sense. She was probably Spaniard or Italian, her fashion style and swag was so not English, her hair was black, healthy, long and beautiful. Her make-up was on point and enhanced her already attractive facial features. She had strong piercing bead-like light brown pupils and a great smile. She was an attractive white lady.
She walked directly towards where I sat and took the empty seat next to mine. Her fragrance was smooth and alluring and when she said hello, my guess was right about her not being English, judging by her accent.
I was bored anyway and looking for distraction so I initiated a conversation with her. She was coming to Nigeria as well so I was glad I would have company all the way back home. She was married with two lovely daughters, she lived in London with her husband who was in private practice as a wardrobe consultant.  She was 28 and he was 29 and the daughters were 5 and 3. They were a happy and comfortable family.
According to her she worked with the commercial and business development team of a fashion and cosmetics company doing very well across Europe, the US and South Africa but they were struggling in Nigeria, hence, her recent appointment to lead the Nigerian team and drive business growth across Africa with Nigeria as the critical market where the growth is expected to come from.
She was very excited about the appointment, she saw it as an opportunity to quickly make her mark and accelerate her growth and relevance within the global clime of the business. To her mind, if the highest growth that year comes from Africa, the whole business would have no choice but to respect and value her.
I was actually very impressed when she became passionate discussing how she intends to take over the market from competitors.  She loved her company, believed in their brands, was sure they had superior offerings and wouldn't understand why they shouldn't be in the top three global brands in another five years. She was passionate about how she intends to use the numbers from Africa to drive global market share growth for their business.
She was reeling out the market share and volume numbers across different markets around the world from the top of her head. She was aware of production challenges, process challenges and the intense competitive efforts in critical markets where their brands were present globally.
She analysed the South African market so intelligently and explicitly from the perspectives of their own product, competing brands, route to market and consumer behaviour.
Immediately she learnt I was a business management consultant, she took me on about the Nigerian market for cosmetics and the behaviour of the consumers. I love people like her, we have similar passion, my boredom and frustration disappeared and we talked all the way till we arrived Nigeria.
As we both exited the departure lounge of the International Airport in Lagos, we exchanged contacts and suddenly a brand new Mercedes Benze s550 latest model chauffer driven pulled up. It was her official car and right on its tail was my BMW X6, a most recent model also driven by my driver.
Her company got her an apartment in Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos and she mentioned it to know how far it was from the airport in Ikeja.
We exchanged contact details, I gave her a side hug and we departed from the airport.
In the car, on my way home from the airport, my mind began to think and I considered the attitude and personality of this fantastic lady. 27 years old, a mother of 2 lovely girls, the wife of a successful designer, leaves London to come and drive the growth of the business of her employers in Africa and her efforts started right from the airport coming to Nigeria.
How many 27 year old Nigerian Ladies are like her? How many think like her, perform like her, delivers like her, have her kind of drive and enthusiasm for success?
She came to Nigeria for work, beyond personal profit. For almost a whole day we shared talking through the wait at the airport and the flight, not for once did she mention her salary, her Mercedes Benz, her Banana Island apartment, security issues, comfort, convenience, entertainment, leisure or pleasure. It was all work; the dream, the purpose and the ambition. It was about the business.
Very unusual compared to a lot of Nigerian business leaders and managers I daily interact with, she said nothing about my car. I'm already tired of the comments and frequent compliments about my car and it was so refreshing my car didn't matter to her. She didn't hail me as “a big boy” as most Nigerians would and I'm sure it wasn't because she drove something in that category as well. The cars meant nothing to her, they were tools; her driving force was the job.
This in my opinion is someone willing and eager to make good use of an opportunity.
Very contrary to a recent experience I had with an associate who after a long while was appointed a director in one of the leading firms in Nigeria. The first thing he did was to organise a thanks giving service in his church. He invited me to this service and I went. Friends, family, relatives even his rivals and enemies were invited. His former bosses who thought he wouldn't amount to much were invited as well.
He shared his testimony in church alright. He talked about a brand new Toyota Prado as official car, an official residence; a duplex in Magodo GRA, Annual vacation for the entire family, a driver, a security guard, and a maid. He became emotional and began to shed tears considering how he had suffered and laboured to come this far and at last, at 50, he is a director. He thanked his lovely wife for her support and his pastor for constant prayers in trying times during his career. It was fantastically delivered.
I considered my experience with the 27 year old European lady I met at the airport appointed as the Director to lead Africa by a global company, and this Nigerian 50 year old man, appointed as a sales director for a purely Nigerian business and I felt sorry for Nigeria. For the European, it was an opportunity, for the Nigerian man, it was a blessing.   After the thanksgiving, he called me up to thank me for showing up. After thanking me, he then unfortunately displayed the typical Nigerian nature in most of us. He asked if I would be interested in distributorship for their products, and him being the sales director now, we could make a lot of money doing business together, we could do deals and make so much money. I wasn't surprised, I was disappointed. The man is an opportunist. It's obviously not about the business, it's all about himself.
Ladies and gentlemen, this attitude and thinking is also why Nigeria today is broke and in recession. We're quick to compare the Nigerian government with the government of other nations, maybe it's time we consider comparing the people of Nigeria with citizens of other nations.
What is your priority as an employee? What's driving you? What's your motivation? Is it all about you? Before you curse and judge public office holders on corruption and impunity, how innocent are you too? Are you not also part of the problem? Do you use opportunities or you're an opportunist? The answer lies in your heart.

Post a Comment

 
Top